Spirit of the Murugappa Group
- Code of Conduct
- Whistleblower Policy
- RPT Policy
- Mat. Subs. Policy
- Code of Fair Disclosure
- Archival Policy
CSR Projects & Programmes
- Mat. Events Policy
- Remuneration Policy
- Dividend Distribution Policy
- Spirit of the Murugappa Group
The spirit of the founder
TI has always followed the Murugappa Group tradition of contributing to the welfare of the community. The founding father, established the AMM hospital in Pallathur, Tamilnadu as early as 1924, and even today it is the premier health centre for the local community. In recognition of his service to the public,  the British Government conferred on Mr. AM Murugappa Chettiar the titles Rao Bahadur in 1923 and Dewan Bahadur in 1926.
A far sighted entrepreneur offers more than just employment opportunities…
Post Office & Bank : When TI started its first factory in 1949 in Ambattur, it was a poor village with no infrastructure. The local Post Office did not even have telegraph facilities. TI signed a bond for a minimum number of telegrams, only after which telegraph facilities were introduced. Nor was there any bank in the village. The company first raised a building in Ambattur and then convinced Bank of Baroda to open a branch in the new building.
Sir Ramaswami Mudaliar Higher Secondary School : Having established the basic infrastructure, the management wanted to focus on the future. The first step was to plan for a school. When the news of the plan spread, some well wishers offered a local school to them. However, the impoverished school had only students, but no property to offer. So, about 25 acres of nearby land was immediately bought and a building raised. The school was re-named Sir Ramaswamy Mudaliar Higher Secondary School (after the first chairman of the company) and the staff and students of the old school were comfortably re-located. This government-aided co-educational institution established in 1957 caters to over 3000 students of Ambattur and vicinity. The school offers academic and vocational courses. Its infrastructure comprises well-equipped laboratories, library, computer facility, playground and Auditorium. Over 70 per cent of those enrolled are first-generation learners or from the poorest sections of society, highlighting the role of the school in empowering the underprivileged of the area. This school was among the first to get ISO certification among government aided schools in 2003. In August 2006, ISO 2001: 9000 re-certification was successfully completed.
TI Matriculation Higher Secondary School : TI opened another school, the TI Matriculation Higher Secondary School in 1981, to meet the increasing needs of local students. One of the few ISO 9001:2000 certified schools in India, this co-educational school offers liberal education from the pre-primary level to the higher secondary level by introducing young minds to the joy of learning without fear of punishment, including examinations without invigilation. The school is also implementing a new concept of designing and developing its own text books. Among a host of state-of-art innovative facilities, the school also has safe drinking water facility, user-friendly fire safety systems and Tort Insurance for all students. The School is known for its excellent results and has performed with distinction in curricular and extracurricular activities.
Murugappa Polytechnic College : When the Tubes factory was opened in Avadi, the Group started a Polytechnic to address the growing demand for trained technicians in the city. This academically autonomous institution with 1400 students in different disciplines, established in 1957, is the first polytechnic college to get ISO 9001:1994 certification in the country. All programmes were re-certified under ISO 9001:2000 standards in March 2003. The college was selected for the celebrated Canada-India Institutional Cooperation Project-CIICP. Its academic quality has won it Grants from the World Bank and Government of India. It meets industry's needs of skilled manpower by providing quality education. Its practical and meaningful technical education has been delivered through customised programmes to meet industry needs while its academic autonomy has translated into a freedom to adapt its regulations, curriculum and syllabi. Most of the students are taken by reputed companies through Campus selection.
Sir Ivan Stedeford Hospital : In the late 1950’s Ambattur, Avadi and the surrounding areas came under rapid industrialization and the consequent concentration of population. However, adequate medical and hospital facilities were lacking. To fill this void, the hospital was started as an outpatient hospital in 1966 and became an inpatient hospital in 1967. Named after the Ex-Chairman of TI-England, who contributed sophisticated imported equipment, this Ambattur-located multi-specialty hospital now serves nearly 5 lakh patients in a year from neighbouring areas.
No consultation fee is charged even if the patient consults more specialists or Super-Specialists. Medicines are charged at cost price. The ISO 9001: 2000 facility performs thousands of surgeries a year and provides specialised services. It has an intensive care unit equipped to handle emergencies. It is recognised by the National Board of Examinations for Diploma in General Surgery, O&G, Family medicine, Anaesthesia and Internal medicine qualifying as a post-graduate teaching institution.
The educational and health care institutions which were started by the Murugappa Group are today managed by a professional body called the AMM Foundation. TI is a major contributor to this foundation. TI also funds scientific research by making regular contributions to the AMM Murugappa Chettiar Research Centre, which focuses on environment friendly and sustainable technologies for the poorer sections.